Thursday, February 20, 2014

How a Fitness Community Builds Resiliency

This awesome Ted Talk was shared with me by a client. 
Here are some of the key points and my take-aways: 

The top 5 regrets of the dying from studies done in Hospice facilities: 

1. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.  
This doesn't necessarily mean quit your job, but practice to work as effectively as possible.  Not sure how?  Check out one of my favorite resources: Brian Tracy's Psychology of Achievement. 

2. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.  
A quick meaningful email or text can be an awesome pick-me to those who cross your mind from time to time.  More so a card or letter via snail-mail are pleasant surprises too!  

3. I wish I had let myself be happier. 
I also read this as, "I wish I hadn't been so hard on myself."  I'm guilty of it too, and everyday I hear individuals put themselves down.  I'm working to have appreciation for all the abilities I DO have rather than focusing on what I have not done.  It's a fine balance to continue to want to achieve more & love where you are in the moment.  Did you realize improving your openness to accept compliments can improve your self-esteem?


4. I wish I had had the courage to express my true self.  

5. I wish I had lived a life true to my dreams instead of what others expected of me.  


The speaker goes on to discuss the top 5 points from those who experience Post-Traumatic Growth:

1. My prioritizes have changed.  I am not afraid to do what makes me happy. 

2. I feel closer to my friends and family. 

3. I understand myself better.  I know who I really am now. 

4. I have a new sense of meaning & purpose. 

5. I am better able to focus on my goals and dreams. 

Check out how those compare to the top 5 regrets of the dying.

Those of us without any trauma can build 4 areas of strength for resiliency too!  Check out how being part of a supportive fitness community is a great way to develop the 4 areas of resiliency:

1. Boost physical resilience by essentially being active and avoiding long bouts of inactivity. Show up for your exercise program and do so consistently.  If you sit at a desk consider setting a timer to get up every 10 minutes for 5 seconds to raise your arms up overhead and reach for the sky! (Go ahead, take the 5s to do it now!) 
(See this Ted Talk about posture & power poses!) 


2. Create mental resilience by attacking a small challenge (ie. count backwards from 100 by 7s) without giving up, or create small challenges within workouts. One rep, one step at a time.  Small challenges can include deciding to do one more rep than the initial goal before resting. 



3. Emotional resilience- "the ability to provoke powerful, positive emotions like curiosity or love when you need them most.  ie. feelings felt when you see a baby or baby animal" and/or spend time cuddling a dog.  


Without pets or babies in your life?  Many local shelters are regularly accepting volunteers to help with dog walking & other tasks needed to care for the animals.    

4. Social resilience-improve strength from friends, family, community.  More so than creating a space for "competitive exercise" fitness communities world wide are filled with welcoming individuals of all ages & abilities with goals & dreams unique to each person.  



I have much gratitude for the fitness community here in Asheville as well as the support I feel from my OPT  family and those I have had the opportunity to meet within the greater fitness community world-wide.  Health & fitness is an integral part of our existence.  If you have not found a supportive community to help support your goals go take the first step towards doing so today! 

1 comment: