Sunday, February 16, 2014

Rest Day Hike & Thoughts


Beautiful sunny Sunday hike 90-100 minutes through the deep snow that will be gone soon with temps in the 50s & 60s through the week.  Some great company with friends that I rarely share time with outside the gym.  All athletes of various forms there were a couple of key conversations leading into the Open.

We're about 10 days out from the announcement of the first workout for the 2014 CrossFit Season.  So like clockwork this is the time of year when I start to freak out a bit and question everything.

I'm not sure if Games level Athletes worry about the Open (although Talayna admits to burpee anxiety), but for me as a 5 year Regional athlete the Open gives me jitters.  All the unknowns and what-ifs.  What if I have an off week?   What if it puts me too far back and I do not qualify?  Then what?  Then who will I be?

Well, it's obvious when I start talking about it.  While it's easy for me to attach it to my self-worth, in the end I'll still be me.

One of the ladies I was talking with today identified how she attached her self-worth to success in races and the highs that come with that when you're "winning".  However, it's the lows that come with the disappointments that are hard to face.

I can definitely relate to this.  Sometimes it's even a matter of feeling more positive about myself when training is going well and frustrated when it's not.

She then asked, "How do we avoid this?"

Honestly, I'm not yet entirely sure, but talking about it and having awareness around it seems like the right first step.

From there my next thought is that whole issue of attachment.   Or rather simply making the decision to not have attachment to the outcome.  I realized that I simply need to decide to show up and trust that I will do the best I can in that moment.

2 comments:

  1. Shanna--my name is Whitney Wardlaw (fellow OPT athlete with Matt Bryant), and we have met a few times at Asheville comps. I just want to say thank you for this point--it resonates in a huge way for me, and it was great to read before the Open. My goal this year is to make regionals in the SouthEast, and, while I feel ready, the pressure is definitely high. I have trained for a year for this, and it was a great reminder that, even if I don't make it, my self-worth isn't going to take a hit because of it. Just wanted to say thank you and good luck in the Open--I will be rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanna - I feel the same fear and anxiety about the Open. While I've qualified for 2 regionals I still wonder if training through the Open is a mistake (questioned it last year as well). This was good for ME to read as well!

    ReplyDelete