Sunday, April 13, 2014

4/11 Dallas NPFL Combine Day 1


After a rollercoaster ride of emotions all week I was doubting if going to the Combine was a good idea.  Then I got on the plane and suddenly I felt at peace.  The knot I'd felt in my stomach for days subsided and I was on my way.

Friday Morning was initially a bit stressful as there was no schedule.  I really prefer to be told what to do & when, when  it comes to competitive exercise.  On top of that there were some suggested events & movements added to the list that I hadn't initially planned on doing.  I added snatching into the mix and then later on another coach told me not to worry about the suggestions and just stick to my plan.

Kicked the day off with Double Unders.  Did 160 UB in 90s which was about a 35 rep PR.  Felt smooth and controlled the whole time.  Stayed relaxed and just kept popping.

Next I went to the snatch.  Opened with 125, 135, missed 145, 140, 145, missed at 150 twice and called it...had it solidly overhead, but couldn't stabilize and ended up walking around with the 2nd attempt at 150 before I threw it down.  It will happen this year!

From the snatch I went to FS.  Did 195lbs & 205lbs in the warm up area.  Both which were tough, as I tired my nervous system out a bit with all the snatch attempts.  Had a longer wait for FS once I went over and built up again quickly on the platform....125/175/195/205/215...called it.  Had to fight hard for the 215 but was thrilled to equal my PR from the previous week when I was feeling much fresher.

After FS I ended what ended up being a 3 hour morning session with max MUs in 90s.  Did 7/5/3 for 15 total.  These felt great.  The rings were thinner than I normally practice on which really helped with confidence in the grip.

Took a break and then came back with a shoulder press.  Was hopping to equal or beat my PR (125lbs) but had to fight out 120lbs and that was all she wrote.  Attempted 125lbs, but no go today.

From here I went over to the C2Bs in 90s.  The bar felt great, but I opened with 33 and had a small tear.  Then did some short quick sets and before I knew it I completed 55 reps, but my hands were bloody as a result.
I had about two hours left in the day.  I was planning to do rope climbs and the barbell workout in addition to HSPUs & pistols.
I kept the HSPUs (45 in 90s) and pistols (22/20 in 45s each side), took out the rope climbs and then warmed up the barbell workout, but the coach from NY saw me warming up with my hands and suggest I call it a day and save them for Sunday vs shred them further.  I went over and chatted with a couple other coaches to get other opinions & when they supported the idea I went with it.  It was certainly disappointed, as watching others do the workout , as I felt I could have had a good showing.  I ended up adding in HS walk (~64 ft) and the shuttle run in the last 10 minutes as I got nervous that I didn't do enough events.  :)

On to Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment